Saturday, September 15, 2007

About Us

Hi everyone :)

This first post is an introduction of my family for people who may come by my page and want to know what it's all about.

My name is Cory, and online you might also see me as "HeavenLeigh123". I'm a 32 year old (as of '07) single mom to J.T. who turned 13 this summer. I also have a 7 year old poodle mix named Baby, who really does think she's a baby.

J.T. and I are originally from Ohio. We lived a few years in KY and moved here to West Virginia in the summer of 2005.

I don't currently work...I've been disabled since 2002.

I considered homeschooling for J.T. (who has always been for it) for a couple of years before decided that YES we COULD do it too! I turned in my notice to the school board before the end of the '05/'06 school year and started officially homeschooling in the fall of 2006. It's possible that J.T. and I might decide he should go back to public schooling at some point, but it doesn't look likely at this time.

I don't have a homeschool "style" to tell you about. We aren't unschoolers or using Charlotte Mason or anything specific like that. We are secular schoolers and don't use any type of religious curriculum. Other than that we basically try stuff and if it works stick with it.

I'll talk more about why we chose homeschooling (I say "we" a lot rather than "I" because I feel J.T. should definitely have a say in his future and how he learns...I discuss with him, rather than dictate how his future should be) and particular curriculum we use in another post.

Thanks for stopping by! Be sure to leave me a comment to let me know you were here and give me a chance to check out your home on the web also :)

2 comments:

Daelyn Fortney said...

Hi Cory! Im happy you and J.T. are still enjoying homeschooling. :-)

kitten said...

Hey! I have been disabled since 2002. I was trying to go back to school to see if I could find some work I could do when the school board just pissed in my cheerioes for the last time. We have a mixture style of schooling, but that is what works for us.